Friday, January 20, 2012

january 2012 card making night!

WOW!

This is one word I can use to describe last night's card making night at my home. I was over-joyed to have 24 stampers come stamp with me at my first event since the beginning of October. I was so happy to have such an awesome turn out to start off the New Year with gusto! My biggest group of stampers before this was 18 in attendance and that was about a month after we moved into our new house (almost 2 years ago), so at that time I thought most of my friends who came just wanted to see my new house! ;)

I had 9 new stampers who hadn't been to one of my card making events before and the enthusiasm in the room was contagious. Crafting nights are always so thrilling and enjoyable when there are so many stampers having such a great time! It was a tight fit, but we made it work. If the attendance continues like this (or if it grows!), I will need to find another location, but for now I like the coziness of having it in my home. We'll see as time moves on...

I designed and prepared supplies for everyone to make three cards each. Some stampers requested two sets, and I also had an "add on" project that I am offering, which is new this year! It was a lot to prepare, but with my New Year's goal of having things planned ahead of time, I felt pretty good about it when the day came. It also helped that my parents watched my kids for the day, so I could focus on my "job" and be 100% ready for the evening...snacks, treats, drinks, and all!

Enough jibber-jabber...here are the cards we made!

{card inspired by Mary Fish...from 2009!}

Even though it was a tedious process, I really wanted the hearts to pop off the page, so I added a Stampin' Dimensional to each of them. Let's just say I used A LOT of Dimensionals on this card, but it's worth it (and they really are a pretty inexpensive way to add a little "wow" to a card). Because it was going to be such a large group I didn't want to have everyone trying to share one punch, so I ended up pre-punching the hearts in different patterns of paper and then they could choose how they wanted their own tree to look.

Stamp Set: Season of Friendship, Delightful Dozen (available in wood or clear mount)
Paper:
Real Red, Whisper White, Brights DSP Pack (some of the hearts and background), Red Glimmer Paper
Ink: Real Red
Accessories: 3/8" Real Red Taffeta Ribbon (retired), Dimensionals
Tools
: Heart to Heart punch, Extra-Large Oval Punch

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Since birthday cards are the most commonly requested card, I decided to make the other two cards birthday-themed!

Aren't these pinwheels so cute?! And I love that just by adding a few different sizes of circles it gives it that playful, but simple look! The pinwheels are made with two separate stamped images put together with a brad. And they actually spin if you want them to (not on their own, of course!)


Because Rich Razzleberry is such a dark color, I cut a piece of Whisper White card stock to fit inside of the card and then stamped the coordinating stamp to finish off the birthday greeting. The stamp set I used is called Petite Pairs and it's so fun because it has two little greetings that are meant to go together if you'd like, but they are separate stamps.

Stamp Set: Sweets for the Sweet (available in both wood and clear mount), Petite Pairs (available in wood and clear mount)
Paper:
Whisper White, Rich Razzleberry, Old Olive, Brights Pack DSP (Tempting Turquoise stripes & Pumpkin Pie polka dots)
Ink: Rich Razzleberry, Old Olive, Pumpkin Pie, Tempting Turquoise
Accessories: Silver Brads, Dimensionals
Tools
: Paper Snips (used to cut the intricate pinwheels with ease), 2-1/2" Circle punch, 1-3/8" Circle punch, 1-3/4" Circle punch, Heart to Heart punch, Extra-Large Oval Punch

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Party hats make me happy, so this next card is such a bright and cheery one! And, again, because there was such a big group, I had the party hats pre-stamped because it was only one stamp which needed four different colors. Can you imagine the chaos that would be with everyone sharing one stamp...oh the mess of those poor ink pads! :)


Another card with lots of Stampin' Dimensionals...and some Dazzling Diamonds glitter, of course!
When I first designed the card, I cut each little party hat topper with my Paper Snips, but then I imagined 20+ people doing that and decided to try a different way!
Thankfully the circle from the Itty Bitty Shapes punch pack fit perfectly!
Stamp Set: Pennant Parade (available in both wood and clear mount), **upcoming Sale-A-Bration set called Outlined Occasions (sentiment)
Paper: Whisper White, Melon Mambo, Daffodil Delight, Marina Mist, Pretty in Pink
Ink:
Melon Mambo, Daffodil Delight, Marina Mist, Pretty in Pink, (markers in all four colors to color in confetti around "Celebrate"), Staz-On Black
Accessories: Rhinestone Jewel Accents, Dazzling Diamonds glitter, Dimensionals
Tools
: Itty Bitty Shapes punch pack, 1-1/4" Square punch, 1-3/8" Square Punch, Petite Pennants Builder punch

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

New this year at my card making nights is an "add on" project for anyone who might want to make a 3D project. Some like to do more than cards, so I thought adding this option would be a good change of pace. This is optional and I usually ask that the guests tell me ahead of time if they'd like to make one (or more!). I decided that I would prepare more than who had said they wanted to make them just in case there were others who might have changed their mind once they got here. It's a good thing I did make extras, I almost sold out of all of them...and I made 19 kits!

This project is made using two of the Scallop Envelope Bigz Die cut outs to create a "pocket". For a quick look at how to make one of these, head on over to Julie Davison's blog. This is similar to a project she posted back in 2009!


Inside the pocket, you can slip a fun size pack of M & M's (or Ghiradelli chocolate, among other kinds of candy). The little note card slips right behind the pack of M & M's.

Paper: Whisper White, Pretty in Pink, Real Red, Subtles DSP Pack (Pretty in Pink stripes), Play Date DSP (retired, but still in the Clearance Rack for only $1.99!), Red Glimmer Paper
Ink:
Real Red
Accessories: Sticky Strip (to secure the two pieces together), 1/8" Pretty in Pink Taffeta ribbon (retired), Dimensionals
Tools
: Heart to Heart punch, Full Heart punch, Small Heart punch, Big Shot, Scallop Envelope Bigz Die


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Such a fun time with some great ladies...looking forward to the next "Third Thursday" card night already!

And, now it's time to get ready for "Fourth Friday" Stamp Club starting next week!

2 comments :

Pam Steckman said...

I would LOVE to come make these cards! Great job lady! :)

Mrs. C said...

Wow what a great turnout!! No wonder those cards are beautiful!! I love the first one:) You have the best ideas, thanks for sharing:)

// ADDED BY RYAN ON 1-3-14 // END ADDED BY RYAN 1-4-14