Wednesday, March 16, 2011

3/$6 Card Making Night - March (let's make cupcakes!)

This past Monday night, I held a card making event at my home. I try to offer a monthly card night where stampers are invited to come make 3 cards for only $6. I design each of the three cards and prepare the supplies in advance, so all the stampers have to do is come and stamp away...leaving with three cards to give to someone special! It is a popular night for those who really love to stamp and be crafty, but don't have the space to get out all of their card making supplies or the finances to purchase their own supplies. They can come use my "toys" and if they find something they would love to own, they can put it on their wish list for the future!

This month's theme was cupcake birthday cards using the Create a Cupcake stamp set and Build a Cupcake punch. These are both out of the Occasions Mini Catalog which runs through the end of April. It took me awhile to finally decide to purchase these two products (not sure why), but now I'm so happy that I have them! they are awesome! (Word of advice...I opted for the clear mount for the cupcake set, but because of all the little pieces, I may have been better off with the wood mount, especially because most everything you will punch out anyway.)


Stamp Set: Create a Cupcake

Paper: Real Red, Early Espresso, Pumpkin Pie, Whisper White, Summer Picnic DSP (retired), Pawsitively Prints DSP

Ink: Early Espresso, Real Red, Pumpkin Pie

Accessories: Dimensionals

Tools: Build a Cupcake punch, Two Step Owl punch (used for the tiny heart), Bigz Scallop Square Duo Die used with the Big Shot, paper piercing tool and mat pack (to make the holes around the white square)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


Stamp Set: Create a Cupcake

Paper: Bashful Blue, Chocolate Chip, Whisper White, Certainly Celery, Certainly Celery DSP (the striped cupcake "liner")

Ink: Chocolate Chip, markers - Rose Red, Certainly Celery (to create the cherry on top)

Accessories: Dimensionals, 1/4" Chocolate Chip grosgrain ribbon (retired),

Tools: Build a Cupcake punch, Dotted Scallop Ribbon Border punch

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


Stamp Set: Create a Cupcake

Paper: Melon Mambo, Crumb Cake, Chocolate Chip, Whisper White

Ink: Chocolate Chip, Pretty in Pink, Chocolate Chip, markers - Melon Mambo, Wild Wasabi (used to color flower)

Accessories: Dimensionals, 3/8" Pretty in Pink taffeta ribbon, Basic Pearls Jewel Accents, pink glitter (non-SU!) used with 2-way glue pen

Tools: Build a Cupcake punch

For this particular card above, I decided to stamp and punch each of the cupcake pieces, so that all the stampers had to do was assemble the cupcakes and add the tiny details. I heard many of the gals say they wanted to give this particular card to someone who would appreciate all of the work and detail it took to create! With only having one punch and one stamp set to share amongst 10 stampers, I had to do some creative thinking and I figure my guests would appreciate me doing a little more of the "grunt work"...and they did appreciate it! (Just picture me on Saturday afternoon stamping and punching out enough pieces to make 20 card kits!)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

And the event wouldn't be complete, without some cupcakes for a treat! Nothing gourmet or too fancy, but just a little something to add to the fun!

I felt like the evening was a success and there were many ladies who couldn't come, but who decided to purchase the card kits and then would assemble the cards at home. This is an option I began offering a few months ago and it's nice for those who can't always make it, but still would like to put together a couple of cards. I will stamp/punch anything necessary and leave the assembly to the person buying the kit. It works great! I even made a couple of sets of cards for those who didn't necessarily want to put them together, but still wanted to buy the cards we were making!

Want to see more of the kinds of cards we create at my monthly card nights? Check them all out HERE.

4 comments :

Kelli said...

If ever I'm on your side of the country I'll be sure to come to one of these. I love that you served cupcakes too. Very nice cards!

Unknown said...

Very cute! Love the different color combinations.

Paula Stewart said...

Love this set. I'm following you from SC #354 http://sweetshoppecards.blogspot.com/

(also like you on facebook)

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the cupcake set Heidi. Thanks for the fun times making cards at your place. kr

// ADDED BY RYAN ON 1-3-14 // END ADDED BY RYAN 1-4-14