Monday, February 10, 2014

"i dig you" valentines

Each year for Valentine's Day, I usually end up making handmade class valentines for more than just my own kids! Last year I had my Etsy shop open and made quite a few (83 to be exact!) of the monkey punch art toppers I had available for purchase. My punching hand sure got a work out! I was also asked by a friend last year to create some fun owl valentines for her son's class. And, then through word of mouth, I ended up making some more for her friend! My daughter and I made her valentines last year, as well. It was a fun mommy-daughter time! Although my pre-school son didn't get in on the action in making his valentines last year, I still had fun making his "Bugs & Kisses" valentines.

One of those same friends from last year asked me if I would be up for making some valentines for her Kindergarten & Preschool boys again this year! I was definitely up for it and got busy searching to see what I could come up with. I ran across quite a few inspiring things and ended up going with the retired stamp set I Dig You (which I was able to borrow from a friend!) and used the matchbook treat holder design that holds a fun size pack of M & M's. There were many different tutorials for the matchbook, but I ended up using this one by Melissa Stout, The Stamp Doc. She even has a video tutorial! One of the best things about this treat holder is that you can make 4 treat holders out of ONE SHEET OF CARDSTOCK! You can visit her blog for all of the measurements.

You can't really tell here, but underneath the sentiment "i dig you", you will see a staple. This is what holds the M & M's packet in and then you tuck the cardstock in the front to stay secured.

I used my Stampin' Markers (Daffodil Delight and Basic Black) to color in the dump truck (yes...all 40 of them!) and then the Small Heart Punch was used to punch the three hearts out of Red Glimmer Paper that are tucked in the truck. To get the hearts "inside" the back of the truck, I took my Paper Snips and made a slit to tuck them in, adhering with Snail Adhesive.



All 40 valentines ready to be hand delivered by two cute boys!

If you'd like to see other fun Valentine's Day ideas, visit more HERE.


3 comments :

Elisha said...

Adorable!!

Melissa Stout said...

Heidi, these are awesome & very cute! I'm a huge fan of your work and love that you used one of my tutorials. It made my day! --Melissa

Elisa said...

Super Cute! I just love your style. I'll have to keep these in mind when my little guy is in preschool!

// ADDED BY RYAN ON 1-3-14 // END ADDED BY RYAN 1-4-14